Sustaining Your Finances
No sector is more dramatically affected than the creative sector, especially the parts of it that consist of live events and gatherings. As we occupy this new extended reality, our first step is to support each other in protecting our health and financial stability during this time of enormous change.
In March, Congress approved the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES Act). This economic stimulus package includes a number of strategies for keeping business and employment intact during the crisis, while ensuring funding for individuals throughout the country in the form of a stimulus check and expanded unemployment benefits.Learn more about the whole package of federal stimulus efforts at this helpful CARES Act FAQ for individuals by the New York Times.
Otherwise, maintaining your personal financial sustainability during this time depends on your situation. You may end up accessing savings, suspending rent and utilities, applying for unemployment or SBA loans, utilizing mutual aid resources, or some combination. Look below for more details on navigating the resources and options available nationally and locally.
And if you are located in Washington State, consider signing up for a session with an expert from Artists Up, who can help navigate the available resources.
I am looking for information about...
Most people are eligible for a $1200 Economic Impact Payment from the IRS, and many have received the money automatically as a direct deposit or payment-by-mail.
Please see our new articles on Unemployment here:
- Unemployment Insurance & Benefits: an overview
- Applying for regular unemployment benefits (employees)
- Unemployment benefits for contractors, freelancers and other self-employed workers (PUA)
With the CARES Act, expanded unemployment benefits will be available for those who are unemployed or underemployed due to coronavirus, including historically ineligible workers, such as self-employed people and part-time workers.
Eligible workers will get an extra $600 per week on top of their state benefit at least until July 31, and it looks likely that it will be extended by the HEROES Act, for at least $300 per week.
See the articles listed above for more details on how to apply in Washington State. Or visit the Employment Security Department (ESD):
Independent contractors and other small business owners may be eligible for one of the SBA programs, such as the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) or the Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL). While these programs are intended primarily to sustain payroll during the crisis, many sole proprietors and single-member LLCs have been eligible to cover personnel costs for themselves as well.
出租： We do not currently have a As of June 2, Washington state has extended the moratorium on residential evictions through August 1. This includes a ban on late fees, other charges, or retaliation against tenents for late payment of rent. A similar moratorium on commercial evictions for small businesses and nonprofits has been ordered as well.
Rental assistance may be available from the following: All Seattle Kids Home, Byrd Barr Place, Catholic Community Services, Downtown Emergency Service Center, El Centro De La Raza, Jewish Family Services, 生命線, Plymouth Housing Group, Solid Ground, Saint Vincent de Paul, Salvation Army, University Churches Emergency Fund, Wellspring Family Services, West Seattle Helpline, World Relief Seattle, YWCA Assistance Programs
實用程序： 西雅圖公用事業公司和西雅圖城市之光 - Utilities Discount Plan. Customers can request a deferred payment plan or apply for a utilities discount. Many other cities and utilities have similar plans. Washington state has requested that utilities don’t shut off your water, electricity or other utilities for non-payment if you’re out of work.
電話和互聯網： 這個 西雅圖/金縣資源指南 概述了電話和互聯網提供商目前提供的服務，從免收的滯納金到免費的無限制數據（第5頁）
Food Resources: Check out the Seattle-Area Emergency Food Resources Map for food banks, school food programs and other food access resources.
食物或其他用品掉落在您的前門： 您可以向 請求互助支持小組。您也可以在那裡自願。
The main tip on navigating credit and debt issues is to contact your lender directly and ask. Most banks and financial institutions are offering some kind of suspension on payments and fees, reduced interest, or other relief but you have to call and ask. It is worth the time on hold.
助學貸款： 您也許可以 暫停聯邦學生貸款.
按揭： 抵押協助和止贖預防 華盛頓州房主的信息。
Federal taxes: 的 IRS has postponed most federal tax filing and payment deadlines to July 15, and is allowing further filing extensions on request.
They are also encouraging those who are due a refund to file ASAP.
These efforts are a part of the People First Initiative, a sweeping series of steps to help taxpayers by offering relief on everything from suspending installment payments, to halting liens and levies, to cancelling collections.
Local & State Taxes: While we don't owe personal income tax in Washington State, small businesses and sole proprietors may pay B&O and/or excise taxes. The Washington Department of Revenue is granting extensions on payments, but you must contact them to request the extension.
Seattle's Finance & Administrative Services has also extended B&O filings and payments, and it is applied automatically without need to contact them.
- 4文化金縣文化救助基金 將分發$1百萬。現在向居住在金縣的個人開放申請，他們可以展示在藝術，遺產，保存或公共藝術領域以及與藝術，遺產或保存相關的主要任務的組織中正在進行的工作。第一輪資金將於4月1日至5月15日分配。
- 藝術家救濟 將向因COVID-19而面臨嚴重財務緊急情況的美國藝術家分發$5,000贈款。
- 藝術家信託救濟基金： 快速響應贈款支持生計受到COVID-19影響的藝術家的關鍵需求。 （該基金目前已關閉）
- 西雅圖COVID-19中的藝術家救濟基金會：資助因COVID-19取消而受到財務影響的更大的西雅圖藝術社區。 （該基金目前已關閉）
- More funding resources are available in our 資源目錄.
華盛頓州獲得了聯邦撥款，以支持COVID-19的經濟復甦。 This program assists workers throughout Washington to get new jobs, receive training for in-demand careers, and get targeted help with their job search.
The program will:
- Provide workers with career coaches to help create customized re-employment plans, job searches, and placement into jobs on the 州的COVID-19基本工作清單 和別的 高需求職業，下崗工人的短期工作準備培訓以及長期培訓。
與您當地的人聯繫 工作源 通過電話或電子郵件獲取更多信息。
While unemployment is really high, that doesn't mean that no one is hiring. If you are looking for work, here are a few places to start...
- 金縣聯合之路 列出了金縣當前的工作機會。
- WA 211數據庫 求職支持 including services for Veterans, youth, and in-language help.
- Do206 has a nice list of opportunities in the region.
- Look at the new opportunities with the Employment Security Department itself and help others who are out of work.
- Consider working for the government at governmentjobs.com or at the city, county or state.
- Of course, there are always posts on LinkedIn, Monster.com, indeed.com和 glassdoor.com.
- Consider temporary part-time work such as driving delivery for Postmates, Amazon, UPS, FedEx, Grubhub, Uber Eats or DoorDash.
- Start with our dynamic resource directory, here in the handbook. Filter by sector, resource type, topic or location.
- 西雅圖基金會COVID-19應急基金： 與受冠狀病毒和疾病爆發的經濟影響嚴重影響的社區合作
- 西北民俗生活：COVID-19藝術家和社區資源列表： 社區努力收集的財政援助，互助和宣傳資源以及信息支持資源
- 4文化資源一覽 用於文化部門
- 西雅圖商會 有一份詳盡的清單，其中包含為個人和企業尋找資源的地點的詳細信息